UNESCO Sites in Jordan

Wadi Rum is a great place for a camel ride at sunset

Jordan is full of interesting, historic places that can be seen in less than a week if you're really pressed for time. Some of the five UNESCO sites should be included at the top of any traveler's list. Here they are with the year they were included in UNESCO:

Baptism Site “Bethany Beyond the Jordan” (Al-Maghtas) (2015)
Petra (1985)
Quseir Amra (1985)
Um er-Rasas (Kastrom Mefa'a) (2004)
Wadi Rum Protected Area (2011)

There are additional sites listed on the UNESCO Jordan webpage which may become UNESCO sites someday.  It's always a good idea to look through that list, because they often contain some lesser visited gems.  I added a couple from that list as well- Dana and Shaubak Castle.

I managed to see three UNESCO sites during a four day stay, though I admit I arrived in Jordan without much of a plan.  I knew I wanted to see some of the historical sites from the bible, but I was mainly interested in seeing Petra. Anything else would be gravy. I thought the prices for a private tour were too high for my solo budget, so I was contemplating taking buses around the country until my neighbor gave me a recommendation for a tour operator named Ali at the very last minute.  We texted using WhatsApp during my flight connections, and Ali met me at Mariam Hotel the night I arrived, not even complaining about it being nearly midnight and pouring rain. Ali was already booked for a tour, but he knew a driver who had lived in the US and was now working part time for him.  He brought this guy who called himself "Steve" who agreed to be my driver. What I hadn't expected was that Steve would be a fantastic guide as well.  He was funny, knowledgeable, and seemed to know people everywhere we went. He crafted an itinerary that included far more than I thought could be managed. This personal service ended up costing about half what the larger tour companies had wanted. If you want to contact Ali on WhatsApp- here is his number. 962 7 8588 1164. Just tell him Barb sent you.

I had purchased the Jordan pass before I arrived.  This allows free entry to nearly 40 different historic sites, including Petra and Wadi Rum. It also covers your visa fee, so it pays for itself in no time.  You must buy it before entering the country.

My itinerary:
Day 1-St. George's Church and Apostles Church in Madaba
Mt. Nebo
Nebo Crafts, which is on the way from Mt. Nebo. They sell mosaics and other hand made crafts made by people with disabilities
Dana Viewpoint
Um er-Rasas
Shaubak Castle
Petra Bed & Breakfast overnight.
One of the mosaic floors in a ruin at Um er-Rasas

Most of the mosaics have yet to be excavated and are covered in sand

Day 2- Petra
Hasan Zawaideh Camp at Wadi Rum for jeep tour and overnight

The Treasury- the most famous building at Petra

Wadi Rum is desert and rock formations

Day 3- Amman Citadel
Hashem restaurant. World's best hummus.
Rainbow Street
Antika Hotel

Day 4- Dead Sea Spa Hotel day pass
Airport

Now you have the basic idea of what you can do in just a few days in Jordan.  Keep following here for details about the fantastic sites I visited and people I met.

Comments

Popular Posts