Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Still just looking at Harleys

An old friend from the Air Force stopped through Milwaukee today and we met at the Harley Davidson museum.  I still haven't found a harley to ride for my list of 50, but this was a whole lot of fun just looking at them.  This is a great museum, built in 2008, and is currently ranked #2 of attractions in Milwaukee on www.tripadvisor.com. It is 2 floors of motorcycles and stories about the company that will impress you or make you downright patriotic.  How they ever gathered so many unique artifacts, including helmets, oil cans, leather, etc. is amazing to me.  I learned a lot about how the company stayed afloat during recessions, wars, and a changing economy.  I loved that there were some interactive exhibits, and even a children's area.  I brought my grandson along and he loved all the bikes you could climb on.  It was difficult to have a real conversation with my friend, but we did manage to do some catching up on life, while still keeping an eye on Landon who wanted one of everything there.  And who wouldn't?  I still hope to find a harley ride some time in my future.  I am starting to understand the wide appeal.
look at all the gas tank designs
He needs to grow a bit more before he gets a harley of his very own!
how would you like to ride in that outfit?
the first motorcycles were really more like bicycles

even the old advertising is shown






5 comments:

  1. The place looks great! Your grandson was lucky to be able to tag along with you and your friends, and visit the museum! He looks adorable in the biker’s outfit, and surprisingly, he looks awesome riding the bike! When I get a chance to visit Milwaukee, I’d definitely visit the museum and see it for myself. I’d love to see the first ever Harley made in 1954!


    @Erik Lucien

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great! Thanks for the fine compliments. We had such a fun time. I hope you are able to go there some day. There were harleys made before 1954 too but they look like bicycles to me. You will really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This place is indeed brimming with loads of beautiful Harley motorbikes and items! I would also love to visit this museum in the future. And I’m sure that just like your son, I would have a happy and unforgettable experience at the museum. Maybe I’d get real happy that I’d even buy myself a Harley bike!

    Max Piedra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are able to visit the museum some day. I enjoyed it so much we recently went back for a second visit! And if you buy that Harley, can I have a ride? : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great bike for your first ride! I’m a biker chic myself. It all started when I rode my first Harley as well. I know the size and weight was a bit of a challenge at first, but I like the element of danger when riding a motorcycle. I just make sure that I keep myself safe by having the right accessories for protection.

    ReplyDelete